Friday, November 30, 2018

Friday Revamp

Now that my "Get fit Friday" challenge is over... What am I gonna write about on Fridays...and why do I feel this overpowering need to have something that begins with the letter "F" in the theme?

Friday seems like a good day to share my thoughts on my Faith. (see what I did there?)

As Christians, we observe Good Friday the Friday before Easter Sunday, the day when Christ Jesus was crucified. I have often wondered what the disciples and the others who loved Jesus the person went through on that Friday and Saturday. I mean really... Can you IMAGINE??? Have you, like me, stopped to ponder how devastating those days must have been?

I know Jesus only as Savior and Lord, but to the disciples and others who loved Him, He was... well, He was Jesus. Some understood and confessed Him to be the Son of God, but he was also the guy they walked from town to town with. He was the guy they ate dinner with and who talked with them after meals. He was present, tangible... he was their friend.

Can you IMAGINE having someone like Jesus as a friend? I mean really... how amazing would it be to ask "Hey Jesus, what do you think about... whatever?" I mean REALLY... who WOULDN'T want JESUS in their inner circle of people? I know that I would LOVE to be able to walk and talk with the physical Jesus person.

How much must Jesus's friends have loved him? I love my people.... and all my people have let me down at some point (just like I have let them down at some point) because we are just people. Still, I LOVE them fiercely. How much more must Jesus's friends have loved him? I mean... He was JESUS.

I know how devastated I have been when I have lost people I love. Whether it is cancer or old age or heart attack or the consequences of addiction or tragic accident, losing someone we love is HARD. It HURTS!

Now, try and imagine someone we love dying the way Jesus did. Start on Thursday with the bogus arrest, continue thru Friday with his time before Pilate and the others, imagine seeing that person you love accused of bogus garbage and seeing him beaten beyond recognition. Then imagine that person you love, your friend and confidant, the person you trust most, being crucified.

I simply cannot.

I imagine that the ones who loved the person Jesus were completely wrecked by His death. The people who witnessed his death did not have the assurance we do. They did not know what Sunday would hold. They only knew that they had lost someone they love to a tragic death.

I imagine the hopelessness they felt is much what I would feel with out Christ....but worse because they felt intense loss.

Anyway, this makes me think that Friday is a good day to share my faith, my walk with Christ, how Christ influences my choices, and the difference He has made in my life. If you have read this blog for any length of time, you are fully aware that I struggle. My life would not be characterized as easy or free of troubles. Still, in order to be completely transparent, I feel it is important to intentionally share my faith, simply because it colors so much of who I am.

I have no degree in Theology, nor do I claim to have any special understanding of Scripture. All I know is what it means to me to follow Jesus... so that's what I'll share.

Now, for a catchy Friday theme to help me stay focused.....

I guess I have a week to decide...

Much love and big hugs....
K

No comments: