Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Wednesday's Weekly Recipe... The smell of fall


Fall is my absolute favorite season! I love the oranges, reds, yellows and browns that fall brings to nature's pallet. I love the excitement and expectation of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year. Crisp air, falling leaves, football games, sweaters, boots, and a much needed break in the sweltering Mississippi heat are all things I love about fall. Fall just makes me happy. 

Some of my very favorite things about fall involve SMELLS!! Apples, Cinnamon, pumpkin, nutmeg, and vanilla all give me that cozy, wrap up in a blanket and read a book feeling! For me, fall begins with a shift in the smells in my house from "crisp and clean" to "warm and cozy".

So, before we start sharing recipes for appetizers, snacks, desserts, and casseroles for all those holiday events coming up in a few months,  lets get our homes smelling like fall! 

This is a new (to me) simmering potpourri recipe I'm trying this year. I'd love for you to try it too and let me know what you think!

1/2 gallon apple cider
3 cinnamon sticks
1 Tbs whole cloves
1 Tbs pumpkin spice
1 Tbs ground nutmeg
1 Tbs vanilla extract

Bring the mixture to a boil in a saucepan (I have one that I use specifically for this) and then reduce to low heat. Stir occasionally and add more cider or water when it gets low.  

Do NOT let it scorch...yuck! OH - MY- WORD!!!! It stinks sooo bad! (trust me on this)





Do you have a favorite simmering potpourri recipe you'd like to share? You can comment below or email me the recipe! I'll share the recipes I receive!


Questions? Recipe suggestion? Leave a comment!

No comments: