Monday, February 19, 2018

Monday Motivation



I know I am not the only one who struggles with the idea that "perfection" is the goal. Somewhere along this journey, I started believing that unless I did something perfectly, I'd failed. I know that this was my attitude in college with respect to grades (which ultimately lead to me dropping out), but I'm not sure WHEN this lie took root in my thoughts. 

I guess this is what gave birth to anorexia in my late teens and early twenties. I remember thinking "If I'm hungry, I can't be gaining weight" and "If everyone thinks I'm too thin, then I can't be fat." Twisted, yes. Never said it wasn't. Glad that chapter is over. 

This is a topic Perry and I discussed at length. I do believe that the root of whatever lead to my suicide attempt last year was born out of the idea that I was expected to be perfect. Well, that's not exactly right... more like "if I'm not perfect, then I'm a failure." 

So, this week, remind yourself often that it's totally okay not to be perfect. Do your best. Make choices that your future self will thank you for. Don't compare yourself to others; they weren't given the same talents, abilities, or skills as you, nor were they given the same responsibilities. 



No comments: