Thursday, February 22, 2018

Thursday's Thoughts on... Spiritual Warfare

Just a few weeks ago I shared my thoughts on how important our, well..our thoughts are. More specifically, how important it is to be aware of where we are focusing our thoughts.

Not surprisingly, THE VERY DAY after posting that,  all sorts of random memories started haunting me. Ever had days like that? It's like Satan himself is sitting on my shoulder saying "Remember when?" I tried to focus my thoughts on Christ and how He has changed me over the past 20+ years. Next, uncertainty filled me with anxiety.  I tried harder to focus on God and who He is. My thoughts were all over the place. I couldn't focus. I was simply a mess. I have days like that sometimes. Some days my emotions are all over the place and my thoughts bounce from one fear to another.

My point is only this...

Satan is crafty. He doesn't rest. He is persistent and patient.

Scripture warns us:
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. (1Peter 5:8)

God's Word is also very clear about Satan's intent...
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; 

and it follows with Jesus's purpose...
I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. (John 10:10)

"Life to the full" sounds wonderful, don't you think?

Knowing the source of things like fear, depression, anxiety, compulsiveness, impulsiveness, loneliness, self pity, despair, etc. gives me comfort because I know that these are not more powerful than God. I know that they are already defeated.

I want "life to the full."

I also want the Fruit of the Spirit to grow in me. (Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self Control - found in Galatians 5:22)

I find that when I am focused on God and who He is, my life is full and the Fruit of the Spirit grows.

I am reminded that we have to be alert. The devil is our enemy. He doesn't want to hurt or wound us; he wants to devour us. He comes only to kill and steal and destroy.

He has also been defeated. His future is certain. He may seem to have lots of influence now, but he is bound for eternity in hell.

And

No matter how intimidating Satan and his minions are...

HE who is IN ME is GREATER than he who is in the world. (1 John 4:4)


(Same for you, friend)


Much love and big big hugs!
K





No comments: