Friday, February 23, 2018

Get Fit Friday - Intermittent Fasting and Clean(er) Eating

Image result for Get Fit


I wanted to start IF (Intermittent Fasting) and eating clean(er) this week to help me manage my food intake. I got the flu end of last week and my wee one has the flu now. Call it an excuse if ya want, but I am a bit behind getting started on this. I ACTUALLY started yesterday.

IF is really nothing more than calorie restriction by limiting the number of hours you eat during the day. We naturally fast while we sleep each night and IF adds time to that natural fast, so all you have to do is add a few hours before and after you sleep. That's really all there is to it. 

16/8 (16 hour fast, 8 hours eating window) is really my favorite schedule. For me, it really just boils down to skipping supper.  This is really the easiest thing for me because I am sleeping when my body gets hungry and I can eat (And have COFFEE) when I wake up. I'll eat between the hours of 5 am and 1 pm. This allows breakfast and lunch. You can adapt it to skip breakfast if that works for you. 

Last time I did IF, I built up so that I  fasted for 24 hours twice a week. (really just skipping dinner one day and breakfast the next) It sounds crazy, but honestly, my entire body feels SO much better when it is not being forced to digest SO MUCH FOOD each day!

I will say this...GOOD healthy, nutrient-rich food is key. Sure, I COULD eat junk and I'd still consume less calories than before, BUT I will struggle through the fasting window. It's not all about the number of calories; what those calories come from is very important if you are going to have a successful fast.  The biggest lesson I learned is that eating sugar is followed by a very real, physical crash. Not fun. If I eat whole food and some good protein, I don't crash and I feel good through the fast, even the 24 hour one. (I use My Fitness Pal to help track what I eat)

Another note, WATER is super important. It is amazing how much worse I feel when I am not hydrated! Just like with eating, you can consume junk (diet drinks) and still reduce your caloric intake throughout the day, but you will FEEL better if you stick to water.

Finally, there are lots of apps for your phone that track your fast and let you know when it is time to eat and also let you know when your next fast starts. (I use Fast Habit) Besides that, it is totally flexible for you to structure your fasts so that they work for you and your schedule.


Much love!
K


No comments: