Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Wednesday Weekly Recipe - The Flexitarian Diet

I'm asking forgiveness in advance for anything I may say today that is offensive. It is not my intention to ever be offensive. If you are currently a  Felxitarian and would like to help me understand more about this eating approach and why it is different than other "healthy whole food" diets, please do.

That being said....

This week I discovered the "Flexitarian" diet. (SURPRISE!)

What is it? This is the definition I found online....

The Flexitarian Diet is a style of eating that encourages mostly plant-based foods while allowing meat and other animal products in moderation.
It’s more flexible than fully vegetarian or vegan diets.
If you’re looking to add more plant foods to your diet but don’t want to completely cut out meat, going Flexitarian may be for you. (source)
Now, my first question is this... why do we need a name for this? Is it not just your basic "healthy" diet? 
So... I read a little more...
The Flexitarian Diet was created to help people reap the benefits of vegetarian eating while still enjoying animal products in moderation.
Okay... so... this is for people who WANT to be a vegan or vegetarian, but still want to eat animal products? Why?
I read on...
The Flexitarian Diet not only encourages limiting meat and animal products but also limiting highly processed foods, refined grains and added sugar.
Okay... I still don't see what the big deal is. This way of eating is made up primarily of veggies and fruits. Protein is to be plant based when possible.  Minimize processed meats (bacon, sausage, bologna, etc), refined carbs (white bread, white rice, etc), added sugars and sweets (sugar, soda, candy, cake, donuts, etc), fast food (burgers, fries, chicken nuggets, milk shakes). Is this a new concept? Were burgers, fries, bacon, milkshakes, Little Debbie cakes, Sprite and bologna considered diet foods before? If so, sign me up! I want THAT diet! ha!!!
It looks like this is simply limiting your diet to food God made, keeping it close to the way He created it...
Do we really have to have a "name" for every variation of eating?
What am I missing???
K
PS  I'm still holding out for the "Bacon, Little Debbie, Hostess, french french fries and ketchup, Bagel and cream cheese, Buttered Biscuit, Chips and Queso, Cookies and Cream Ice Cream, Sprite diet." If you find THAT one, I'm all in!


No comments: