Friday, January 25, 2019

Friday (Re) Focus

I'm trying to enjoy the journey this week. I'm hoping that this will stick with me and that I will learn to fully appreciate my current season of life. I am hoping that focusing on "now" will ease the longing in my soul for what the future may or may not hold for me.

I look back over my life and recognize how much of it I've wasted wishing for the next season. I wonder if it is more difficult for me to see and understand God's plan because I do not fully soak in the present.

I wonder... why is it so difficult to trust God's timing? Why are we so eager to move to the next moment... or next thing? Even though I have a lifetime of personal stories about how God is good and how His plan is perfect, it's sometimes a bit difficult to relax and simply trust Him. Even though I am quite familiar with Scripture and the stories contained within, all pointing to God's provision and love for His people, it is difficult sometimes to let go and just trust him.

Is this because I think God isn't ABLE to work things together for good?

No, that's absolutely not it at all. I am quite certain that God's Word is true and that He DOES indeed work all things together for the good of those who love Him. I believe that my unrest is born out of the realization that there is a very strong possibility that God's plan is not mine, that His goals and desires for my life are not mine, or that the things I long for are not meant for me.

I am reminded that God's will for the lives of His people is pretty specific. When I think back over Scripture, I am acutely aware that the lives of all contained there point to God. No matter the story, it is clear that a person's ultimate purpose is to point others to a relationship with Christ, to reveal our need for Christ, and/or to share the heart of God. Were it not for the loving nature of our Creator, this would be quite frightening.

Sometimes it is frightening still, but doesn't need be.

It's only frightening when I fail to consider the price paid for my freedom. When I remember the Love shown for me on the Cross, the lengths God went to in order to restore me to Himself, despite my sin... there is no fear. When I consider eternity and the promise of Heaven, it is easier to submit my will to His.

Perhaps it is Satan's ultimate ploy... to make us lose sight of eternity, to convince us that God doesn't love us... to create doubt in our hearts about the goodness of our Creator.

Maybe the key to enjoying each moment is to keep Heaven in sight. Maybe it is the understanding that this life is but a blip in eternity that makes it possible to completely surrender my will to His.

Just my thoughts
K

No comments: