Thursday, January 24, 2019

Thursday's Thoughts on... SPRING!!!

Yeah, I know its's January.

Still, Spring is RIGHT around the corner!

Don't believe me? Just go to Hobby Lobby! They are in full-on Spring mode!

I think this is the year that I will start my cutting garden AND my herb garden. I've had these on my bucket list for ages and I think it's time to do it. I'll plant more Zinnias, a mixture of sunflowers, Black Eyed Susan, Glads, Phlox, Peonies,  Purple cone flowers, Shasta Daisy, Dahlias, and baby's breath. Oh my WORD!!! Doesn't that just make you LONG for spring time??? My heart longs for warm sunshine and cool breezes...ahhhh!  Now, for the herb garden... lavender, cilantro, mint, aloe. Oh GOODNESS! I just want to go ahead and get my hands in the dirt!!!!

Actually, I'm afraid that what I SHOULD do is update and pretty up the beds I already have.... but that sounds so boring.

(sigh)

Yes, I suppose the thing I SHOULD do is focus on what I already have. Clean out the 3 huge beds I already have, work on my lawn, trim trees, get it all nice and clean and healthy. That's what I should do....

but new things are SO much more fun!

Wow... Isn't this the case with life in general?

"New and different" is exciting and fun, is it not? So often we miss the blessing of the things that are well established, deep rooted, and familiar because we are so focused on pursuing some new thing. I wonder, if I put as much thought and effort into the flower beds I already have as I would put into a new one.... would the older beds not bring me more joy? Possibly... The plants are established. They are large and are reliable bloomers. I know what to expect from them and am filled with anticipation each year as I wait on their show.

That makes me think of something else... when we constantly chase the next moment, we miss the blessing of "now." (remember, we are enjoying the journey this week) While it is certainly obvious when I am eagerly awaiting the next set of blooms in my garden,  this was most evident in my life  when my children were little. I remember wishing they would crawl, would talk, were potty trained, etc. Now I miss those sweet moments a mom only has when her babies are indeed babies.

I've learned that God gives us what we need in every season, whether it be a season of the year or a season in life.

This morning I have no flowers or green grass, (and no babies to snuggle) but He has given me a blanket, a fire in the fireplace, and a hot cup of coffee to ward off the cold January temps... and while I love the excitement of spring, there is certainly something to be said for quiet, calm, and peaceful winter mornings.

I wonder what you may be missing today while you are looking forward to tomorrow. Please join me in soaking up THIS moment, whether you are at home or at work or where ever. God gives us blessings every single day.

Let's not miss them!

Just my thoughts...
K

No comments: