Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Tuesday's Tips and Tricks - Celebrating (not surviving) the Holiday Season - Thanksgiving



November is here and Thanksgiving will be here in the blink of an eye!

I hope that you don't miss this special holiday. I feel that we have, as a society, skipped over the entire month of November and lumped the meaning of Thanksgiving in with Christmas. We spend November shopping and decorating for Christmas and have reduced Thanksgiving to nothing more than a fancy meal.

Thanksgiving is the holiday to celebrate what we are thankful for. This is the time to gather with those you love and soak in all the many ways God has blessed us. As I have intentionally planned this year's holiday season, I am confronted with the sad fact that, for me personally, Thanksgiving has lost much of it's meaning. It is my goal, hope, and prayer that this will change in 2018, but I realize that in order to accomplish this, I must make a conscious effort to make it happen.

For the past several years, we have celebrated Thanksgiving with friends. The Davis family invites several families to eat with them and it is truly a time that I have come to treasure. I don't really want to change that just yet.

So, without totally changing our Thanksgiving routine, how can I make Thanksgiving more prominent, more meaningful? How can I be more thankful and how can I help those I love be more thankful?

For the past few years, I have participated in "30 days of Thankfulness" on Face Book. This is a great way to focus on what/who I'm thankful for, but I am not doing that this year. No particular reason. Just not. I probably will again next year. We'll see. In the meantime, I'll need to find something else...

I looked on Pinterest and there are tons of "thankfulness challenges"... feel free to pull something from there.

For me, this year, I am going to simply focus on being thankful. Not for social media. Not to complete a challenge. I want to FEEL thankfulness... humble gratitude. I want to rid my heart of any feelings of entitlement. I am aware today that I take so much of my life for granted. I want to fully see all the things that God has given me to enrich my life, and be truly completely and totally grateful for them.

Enjoy Thanksgiving. BE Thankful. Whatever that means to you, how ever that looks for you... be thankful. Make a conscious effort to see all the ways God HAS blessed you. Spend no time wishing for things to be different. Rather, experience and enjoy what you have. Spend November fully immersed in all the many ways God has shown His love for you.  Look for things to be thankful for all day each day...and intentionally thank God for them.


Much Love and Big Big hugs!
K

No comments: