Thursday, November 8, 2018

Thursday's Thoughts on... the desire in your heart

I heard a pastor say that if you have a desire in your heart, God put it there and there is a "yes" in your future. He went on to say that if you want something, you should go after it, because God obviously wants you to have it.

Now, I don't know this man. I don't know his family, his church, or his friends. I am inclined to think that they must be the most wonderful people to be around... being that he can make such a statement without a "but" or "as long as" attached to it. 

See, if I said something like "if you want something, go after it," I would have to make sure to clarify, "make sure it is in line with God's Word"... cause Satan puts desires in our hearts too. I mean, I can WANT to be in a relationship with a man who is not my husband. I can DESIRE this in my heart. God's Word makes it crystal clear that this "want" and "desire" is NOT placed in my heart by God. (Don't commit adultery.)

I do not believe, as the aforementioned pastor seems to, that all the desires in my heart are from God.  I WILL say this.... the more I know Jesus, the more my desires DO line up with God's Word. 

A few Scriptures come to mind as I consider this...

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119:105

If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. James 1:5

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

God's Word assures me over and over again that following Christ will keep me on the right path. When I find myself in a "what should I do?" moment, lining my choice up with God's Word is always the right choice. 

The greatest tool Satan has is deceit. We believe that he comes to us as some frightening thing, when in reality he comes dressed as everything we ever wanted. Satan doesn't frighten us into following him, he entices us with promises to fulfill our deepest desires. He promises to meet our needs. 

What Satan DOES'T reveal is the price tag attached to that thing we want so desperately. You want fame and fortune? Look at the suicide rate combined with the number of drug and alcohol related deaths among the rich and famous. There is an equally deadly price tag attached to every single thing Satan offers and the fine print always includes phrases like "hopelessness and despair."

So, while others may tell you "follow your heart." I will tell you "Follow hard after Christ." Only following Christ has ever given me any peace. 

Satan's lie is the same as it was in the Garden: "God is holding out on you." What Satan DOESN'T tell you is all the heartache God is protecting you from. So no, don't assume that every desire and want in your heart is from God and that you should go for it. Satan puts desires there too. 

Just my thoughts 
K

No comments: