Thursday, September 27, 2018

Thursday's Thoughts on... Why not?

Before I dive off into this, PLEASE note that I am not and will not condone or encourage you to be irresponsible, irreverent or careless in the choices you make. I will NOT encourage you to sin.

We clear?

Good. 

That being said...

I heard a talk on the following idea recently...

"Why not?"

Why aren't you doing what you want?

Let me clarify... as Christians, our greatest desire in everything we do or strive for should be bringing God glory by using the gifts, talents and knowledge He has given us.

For me, this sounds like:

Why aren't you writing a book?
Why aren't you selling holiday cookies?
Why aren't you actively promoting your art?
Why aren't you... doing whatever?
Why aren't you... asking for whatever?

Why?

The speaker challenged me to really consider the true "why" behind these things. I've discussed all this before.  I have an irrational fear of failure. I was posed with the following questions: (I'll use my art as an example)

Why did you choose promoting your art as something to discuss here?
        well, I feel like a failure for not following thru and seeing what I can do with my art.
SO....Why don't you actively promote your art... if you feel like a failure for not doing so?
       Because I am afraid that it won't sell.
What happens if it doesn't sell?
       I will feel rejected.
What happens if you feel rejected?
       I will feel like a failure.
How does feeling like a failure "feel?"
       Useless, worthless, dejected, lost...you know... like a failure.
And how did you say that NOT actively promoting your art makes you feel?
        ...Like...a...failure
So, you feel like a failure for not actively promoting your art, but do not pursue becoming "an artist" because you are afraid of feeling like a failure?
        well.....yeah

Sweet reader, Do you see what's going on here? This is life changing for me! I don't pursue things I enjoy because I am afraid of feeling like a failure...but  I feel like a failure already! LOL! I say that I am afraid of failure, yet  I am CHOOSING to fail! I think I have already talked about this recently...but it takes me a while to really accept some things.

Do NOT confuse this with "I want to have a sexual relationship with this person who is not my spouse, so why not?" because THAT is completely against God's Word. Marriage is hard and Satan knows exactly where to hit you to make you think that there is something better for you outside God's Will for your life.... like an affair, or any sex outside marriage... but THAT is a post for another day.

My point here is that Satan is ALSO behind the fear that keeps you (me) from giving 100% to that thing God has gifted you with.

Stop for a moment sometime today and ask yourself... "Why not?" and if your answer is "I'm afraid" then consider what exactly you are afraid of. What's the worst that can happen?

For me, the possibility of having a robust life filled with ministry that involves writing, painting, baking, and speaking is totally worth the risk of failure and rejection. I mean, I already deal with the feelings of failure and rejection without the joy of success in these areas... so what's the risk really?

What's the risk for you?
Is living the life God designed you to live worth the risk?

Much love and Big hugs!





No comments: