Thursday, August 2, 2018

Thursday's Thoughts on...bondage...and freedom



A verse comes to mind... Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8 (NIV)

and another.... The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10 (NIV)


I am quick to say that Satan is my enemy. I say that I fully understand that his ONLY objective is to devour me. I say that I know that his only mission is to steal, kill and destroy...

yet I underestimate the lengths he will go to to accomplish this. I look for BIG things...HUGE temptations... affairs, murder, stealing...huge things. This is one of Satan's best covert operations... we are deceived into thinking that he only works in the big things... destroying marriages, taking jobs, all those sorts of things. In reality, he does his best work in the little details... a little lust here, a bit of anger there, stirred together with a white lie or two mixed in with some seemingly harmless gossip...pepper it with a dash of unforgiveness and a sprinkle of self-righteousness.. and there you have it.. one defeated, miserable, beat down, unproductive, stale, stagnant Christian with all the joy sucked right out of his/her heart, leaving nothing but a sour faced scowl and bitter attitude.

Satan absolutely does not care one tiny little bit WHAT keeps you in bondage, so long as you stay there. While I know he will go to great and elaborate lengths to destroy a person, he will also use seemingly insignificant things if that works in his favor.

Satan had me in bondage 2 ways; I took responsibility for others' actions and attitudes while overlooking my own. Satan had me so caught up in feeling responsible for things I couldn't change, that I neglected the things I could change.

When my responsibility to others was put into perspective (see last week's "Thoughts"), I began to see the many ways I could actually change myself... all the ways I was REALLY broken... and all the ways I could improve myself that are not at dependent on the actions, opinions, or attitudes of others.

This is exciting to me.

It is always encouraging to have light shown on the plans of my enemy. Thankfully, I know who I follow, who will lead me in paths of righteousness...

"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full" - Jesus (That's the rest of John 10:10, referenced above.)

I don't want a mediocre, defeated, empty life. I want life to the full.
I don't want to feel helpless to the moods and attitudes of others. I want to embrace and cultivate the one relationship in which my value and worth are found... my relationship with Christ.

These words are from one of my fave worship songs..


Chains fall
Fear bow

Here, now
Jesus, you change everything
Lives healed
Hope found
Here, now
Jesus, you change everything



Here is the video...




Enjoy!
Much love and big big  hugs!
K


No comments: