Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Tuesday Tips and Tricks: Quiet Time

As promised on Friday of last week... tips on setting up for a productive quiet time...


First, let the term "Quiet Time" guide you. This is a time for you to quiet your thoughts, put away your to-do list, and rest in God.

I only know me, so I will share what I have done to help me have an uninterrupted space of time with God...

Choose a place. This needs to be somewhere comfortable and relaxing.
I like the end of my couch close to the window. There is a bookshelf against the wall that is the perfect height to rest a cup of coffee. There are wind chimes in the tree just beyond my field of vision. They make the most soothing music, compliments of the morning breeze. There are  humming bird feeders hanging from the eaves of my back porch and bird feeders in the tree just beyond the porch, as well as in the trees along my back fence. The birds make the most beautiful music in the mornings. From my spot on the couch, I can enjoy all these sounds, watch the tiny humming birds flit to and fro, and watch the sun dance through the tree leaves.  The roof over my back porch is metal, so on rainy days, i am serenaded by an entirely different, but equally soothing song. All of these soothe my soul, quiet my mind, and remind me of the majesty of the Creator who gives me such perfect gifts each day. Everything about my place points my heart and thoughts toward God. Make sure that your place, where ever you choose, does this... points your heart and thoughts toward God.

Make sure you have what you need.  Honestly, the only thing you NEED is a Bible (in a translation you can read and understand). Please understand that the purpose of this whole thing is to draw closer to God. If you are reading a Bible that is written in a way that you do not understand, it is not helping you achieve the goal of being closer to God...even if the fancy words and phrases do seem "holy." The Bible is God's revelation of Himself to us... it is meant to be understood. (post for another day)
I do have other things that I regularly use. I mentioned my bookcase earlier. I cleaned it off this weekend and set it up with all the things I use during my quiet time. I have a basket that holds my Bible, my Sunday School book, and whatever other materials I have for teaching. I also have my daily devotional there. I ALSO have a Bible Reading schedule.. because sometimes opening the Bible and starting to read is not very productive. I have zippered pouch with (too many) colored Gel Pens for journaling. If I am reading a book, it will be on the shelf as well. Other than that, it is pretty clear. Oh! I do have a lamp. Sometimes it is nice to sit in the near-darkness of the morning and the lamp gives me enough  light to read by if I don't want to turn on the overhead light. I also get a large cup of coffee, my morning cereal, or a glass of juice or water... whatever I'm consuming that morning, so that I am not tempted to get up in the middle of my conversation with God to pour myself a bowl of cereal.

Quiet your mind. Turn off the TV, Radio, and silence the phone. Relax.
I usually have to make an effort to quiet my thoughts and focus on God. I often close my eyes and take several cleansing breaths. I will pray, asking God to bless the time with Him. I ask the Holy Spirit to reveal anything in my life that is a barrier between me and Him. Then I rest in the quietness for just a moment. I wait and see if anything comes to mind. Sometimes it does and I need to do a quick Google search on Scripture on what ever it is to get me started in my Bible reading. Other times I simply do the reading I have for the day. The point is to empty my mind of everything that isn't focused on God.

I feel like everyone's quiet time is personal and should reflect who God created them to be. Some people sing, some draw, some write. Some sit stone-still, eyes closed, carrying on a conversation with God inside the privacy of their mind while others lie face down on the floor and weep. Honestly, the whole thing was awkward for me at first. I think that's why I utilized journaling from the beginning. It was easier for me to write to someone I couldn't see than it was to talk to someone I couldn't see. Over time, the whole thing has become quite natural.

Find a time where you will not be distracted or interrupted. This is perhaps the biggest challenge for most everyone I've talked to about having a time set aside for God. Most people will tell me that they simply do not have time. Neither do I. If I am going to have uninterrupted time with God, I have to schedule it...and if I want no distractions, I have to plan for it. I get up before anyone else...or I stay up later than anyone else... or both. The only way for me to be free to focus all my attention on God is to be alone. That's either when my people are asleep or out of the house.


Many people say that they talk to God in the car because that is the only time they are alone. Others say it is in the shower. These are both well and good and I often do both... but it isn't the same as my time alone with God, sitting together on my couch by the window, listening to the birds and wind chimes and watching the sun dance through the leaves on the trees. There is something special about my time alone with God. It soothes my soul, calms my fears, and...allows me to rest. It is different than the times I pray during the rest of the day.


I'd love to hear about your Quiet time set up.

Much love and big big hugs!
K

No comments: