Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Wednesday's Weekly Recipe - Meal Prep

In my dreams, I am a very organized and orderly person. My home runs like a well oiled machine. I have plenty of hours in my days, including time to relax, do my nails, read and journal. My laundry is always done. No one ever asks me where a specific article of clothing is, and they CERTAINLY never ask if said article of clothing is clean! My kitchen and bathrooms are sparkling. Everything is neat and tidy. Most of all, I am MUCH less stressed... because everything works the way it "should".

Real life is not a dream. There are plenty of people and situations that wreck even the most well planned week... but there ARE things I can do to ease my load.

In light of the chaos that has been my life these past few weeks, I've finally decided to really give this whole "meal prep" thing a shot.

I have not tried it up to now because it is obviously a bit time consuming on the front end. HOWEVER, it is possible that, by setting enough time aside so that I don't have to rush, I might actually ENJOY this time. My plan is to turn on Pandora and enjoy the process, reminding myself of how much easier my life will be during the week!

I will try to eliminate as much stress as possible by planning my meals out on Thursday, making the grocery list Thursday night, and shopping either Friday after work or early Saturday morning. (Just having our meals planned out will be a huge stress reliever for me! I HATE walking in the door after work and having no idea what I'm going to cook for dinner!)

Before I start, I want as many pointers and tips as I can get. We all know that Pinterest is WONDERFUL... in a perfect world sort of way....and I have gotten lots of stuff pinned to my "Meal Prep" board... but alas, my world is far from perfect.

Over the next few weeks I'll share this experience, along with recipes that work well for my meat and potatoes family and our rushed lifestyle. I am also working a new eating plan, so that will make this a bit more challenging for me. (anyone else tried "NOOM"?)

If you prep your meals, I'd love to for you to share what works for you as well as things you tried that didn't work so well! You can leave your thoughts, ideas, recipes, and tips in the comments below or you can email me and I will share in a future post!!!

I have tried a few EASY things that helped ease me into the idea of prepping my meals...

This is a (short) list of  things freeze well, and are SUPER time saving!!!
Spaghetti sauce
Chili
browned ground beef  (just pull it out and you can have tacos or hamburger helper in a matter of minutes!)
Soups

Ya gotta start somewhere, right?

Just having ground beef (or ground turkey) precooked is a HUGE time saver.  I can easily have a meal ready in 30 minutes or less.

Send me your recipes! I'd love to try them myself and share them here!

More next week!
K





No comments: