Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Wednesday's Weekly Recipes - Pimento Cheese

I honestly had no idea this was a "southern thing," but the internet says it is. (The internet never lies)

As a child, I was exposed to store bought pimento and cheese on white bread. I am not a fan of plain white bread and I do not like store bought pimento cheese.  So, you understand why, when a friend offered some "Homemade Pimento Cheese" a few years ago,  I was hesitant to try it as an adult. Oh my WORD! Am I ever glad that I took a chance and tried it!

My personal favorite way to eat pimento cheese is warm (like a warm gooey slice of grilled cheese heaven) followed closely by eating it as a dip with wheat thins.

Here's the recipe...


Basic Pimiento Cheese Recipe
Ingredients

1/2 cups mayonnaise
8oz Cream cheese, softened
1 (4-oz.) jar diced pimiento, drained
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp. finely grated onion
1 jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)
1 (8-oz.) block extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, finely shredded
1 (8-oz.) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper to taste
Stir together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in cheese. You can use a mixer for a more blended spread.
Store in refrigerator up to 1 week.
grilled pimento cheese 
You can serve it cold or warm. You can serve it as a dip for raw veggies or crackers. You can use it to top burgers. You can eat it (warm or cold) in a sandwich. I've even had it rolled into balls, battered and deep fried (oh my goodness).



I've also made this with Rotel instead of pimentos and it is super good as a dip with crackers or tortilla chips. (I leave out the jalapeno when I do this...I don't like mine very spicy)









Big hugs,
K

No comments: