Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Tuesday’s Tips and Tricks- expanding a flowerbed

So I’m working on the flower bed in my front yard. It’s not really all that bad. I actually kinda like the chaos there. HOWEVER, some of my spring bulbs don’t bloom as expected and I think this may be a result of them not getting enough sunshine.

So, I’m expanding the bed to allow the bulbs to be in the sun for a larger portion of the day. So far all I’ve done is sprayed one section of grass with Roundup. It’s dead now and this weekend I will take on the lovely task of pulling it up.

Here’s a picture of the bed in early March of this year
:
My plan is to move the border of the bed out to the pavers, fill in the space between the pavers with gravel to make more of a path,, and move the sun tolerant plants toward the  new front of the bed.

I’ll kill the grass with roundup first,  then cover the dirt with newspaper to prevent new grass from growing, and cover the news paper with mulch sonthat I don’t have newspaper laying in my front yard! Lol  this fall, I will transplant the bulbs  and should have better luck with blooms going forward.

No comments: