Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Warning Signs - Satan Distracts and Deceives

I am a Christian and I firmly believe in Spiritual Warfare. The events that led up to the afternoon I tried to kill myself and the events of that night specifically solidify my belief that there is a battle being waged for our souls.

Scripture says:
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith. 1Peter 5:8-9

But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one. 2Thess. 3:3

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. John 10:10

And my life verse(s):
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.  Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Ephesians. 6:11-17


Looking back over my life, Satan has been trying to take me out for...well, forever. I love Jesus a lot, so Satan hates me...a lot. Simple as that. Over the past year, Satan quietly and slowly upped his game by distracting me from things that draw me to Christ.

First
I started playing a game on my phone. Build your town, grow your crops, etc. Totally mindless. It was an escape for me; a time when I could just let my poor brain go on auto pilot. I met other players on line and enjoyed chatting with them. 

Then
I started listening to country and rock music. 

About this same time
I started going to the gym early in the morning and again after work. 

Nothing in the world wrong with any of this. Really. These things are all very insignificant on their own and seem totally benign. 

Here's the thing... 
I began to spend time "building my town" that I NORMALLY would have spent reading my Bible, spending time in prayer and writing in my journal.  I substituted country and rock music for the Christian music I normally listen to. I was sleeping very little...going to bed really late (because I was chatting online and playing my game) and getting up really early (4 am) to go to the gym.

July found me spiritually empty. I was not reading my Bible, Praying, and writing in my journal. Christian music normally points me back toward Christ, but I was  listening to country and rock...which certainly do not. 


I was also sleep deprived. (FYI- Lack of rest contributes to anxiety and depression.) Add to all this, I made some financial decisions that were not beneficial to our family and my husband was terribly disappointed in me. 



I firmly believe that Satan is the enemy of my soul, but missed this was spiritual warfare.
For about 2 weeks leading up to July 19th, the prevailing thought in my mind was “You are a total failure. Everyone would be better off without you. You are a burden. You have ruined Calvin’s life. He and the kids deserve someone so much better than you.” 

Satan deceived me with an outright lie and I was so spiritually empty and physically exhausted that I completely believed that lie.

I’ll stop here today.

I want to repeat what I have said in previous posts, Suicide is NOT the answer to pain. It only transfers pain from you to the people who love you. If you have thoughts of suicide, contact the National Suicide Hotline (1-800-273-8255) and/or find a PROFESSIONAL to talk to. There are people who are trained to help you get out of this dark place.

One more thing...please remember that I am writing this in hindsight....I am NOT in this dark place any longer.

Big Hugs and Much Love!
K



Here's what I know to be true:
  • God has not left me, nor has He turned His back on me. 
  • Pleasing people should not be my ultimate goal in life. 
  • Satan Distracts and Deceives
  • I am loved more than I ever realized. 
  • Feelings are not Facts
  • I need to pay attention to my desire (or lack of desire) to do the things I normally enjoy.
  • It will get better. It always does.


No comments: