Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Tuesday Tips and Tricks: Celebrating (not surviving) the Holiday Season- Gift List

I do best with a list. Now, this doesn't mean that I always make a list. What it DOES mean is that, without a list, I am sure to forget something. So why don't I make a list? Oh that's easy... I THINK I can remember everything. This is one of the lies I regularly tell myself.

So... this week, as I am  preparing for the unavoidable hustle of November and December, I am making a list.

I almost always over-commit myself. I over think gifts. I think that it is necessary to create gifts for the people I love, then I underestimate the amount of time needed to create the gifts, and end up with something that looks much like a dollar store after thought. (sigh)

Its the thought that counts, right?

Absolutely...but the key here is to THINK! think ahead! Have a plan! Honestly, we are doing pretty good ...

So far we've


  • made a plan by answering the questions "what do I want this holiday season to look and feel like?" and "What memories do I want to make this holiday season?"
  • put our Christmas Card list together and updated addresses

This week let's think about gifts. We rarely forget spouse, kids, parents, and siblings. Grandparents are not easily over looked. What about co-workers, teachers, church leaders, bosses, friends, mail man, etc? How far from "immediate family" do you gift? 

My suggestion is to make your "perfect world" list.
Break it down into the people 
  • who live in your home
  • who you will visit
  • who you worship with
  • who you work with
  • who serve you and your family (teachers, favorite waitress,  police officers, firemen, mail man, sanitation worker, etc)
  • who make your life easier, make you smile, and/or whose day you can brighten (elderly neighbors, single moms, missionary and military families)
My group of people always want to adopt a needy family and I LOVE this... but I have to plan for that as well. If your people (family, work, or church) do this, remember to set funds aside to participate.

Don't worry about gifts yet. We'll talk about that next week.

See ya then!
K



No comments: