Friday, July 27, 2018

Get Fit Friday - Firming Up My Faith - Quiet Time




I mentioned "having my Quiet time" to someone a while back and they were all  "what?" and I actually struggled to explain what "Quite Time" is! Okay... it's not complex or complicated. Just to clarify:

"Quiet Time" is simply time alone with God. No (or at least as limited as possible) distractions. This is not time in front of the TV reading your Bible, but rather time focused on God. Again... no distractions... hence the term QUIET time. It consists of prayer, reading the Bible, journaling (if you do that sort of thing) and meditating on God's Word. (this isn't the same as Eastern Meditation) I'm trying to use non-churchy words here... but somethings are just churchy things, so please just bear with me.

I have challenged people for years to set time aside daily to spend time in God's Word and in Prayer.

I've taught entire classes on how Satan distracts us and makes us busy so that we "don't have time" for this.

Still, I have not consistently practiced this myself. I feel like a hypocrite. I don't want to make light of it and say "Well, I just don't spend time with God," because that is NOT my heart! I am convicted, challenged even, to adopt this practice and make is part of my daily life.

The things that take up the time that I could be spending with God are not productive or even necessary.

I am removing some time-wasters from my days and replacing that time with "Quiet Time." Again, this is simply time with God. Stopping to take time to focus on God, His Word, and prayer.

As with the other disciplines I've discussed these past few weeks, I have no intention of being rigid or legalistic about this. I am not creating a "Good Christian" check list.

My desire is  to be closer to God. I want to be more like Jesus. I want others to stop seeing me and see Christ in me. I want to be more and more like Christ.

I cannot KNOW what "Looking like Christ" is supposed to look like apart from studying God's Word.

I truly believe that one reason I don't successfully have a habitual Quiet Time is that I over complicate it. I get an image in my head of what it should look and feel like and I struggle to bring that to reality. SO, I thing that next week I'll share some tips on setting yourself up for your Quiet Time.

I am excited about this!

Much love and Big BIG BIG hugs!

K










No comments: