Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Tuesday Tips and Tricks - Plan for the New Year





I am pretty good at setting goals and making plans. In 2018, I want to work on my follow through. As with most things, I realize that I am not alone in my struggles. Perhaps you too are stronger in the planning area than in the follow through area. If so, we can work on this together!

Today I want to share some sites where I found tips on managing the 4 areas of my life that cause me the most stress. Each site (or tool) breaks things down into manageable chucks, or even does some of the work for me (like counting calories or reminding me when bills are due), which is good for me being that I usually give up on goals and plans when I am overwhelmed by the details involved in carrying them out.

  • Weight -
    We all know that there as many quick fix diets out there as there are pounds we need to lose. I don't need a quick fix. I need something permanent. 
    • Nerd Fitness is my fave go to site for inspiration. Maybe you aren't a nerd. Still, it's worth checking out. Lots of good information there. 
    • I also use the My Fitness Pal app. (okay, I have it on my phone and have used it in the past. I AM going to start using it)  
    • Finally, a friend told me about another app called Fit Notes that keeps up with your workouts. I haven't figured out how to utilize it yet...but I haven't been in the gym either, so... moving on...
  • Finances-
    Money (or lack thereof) will certainly put pressure on a person and on a relationship. I don't think that I need more money, but rather need to make better use of the money I have. 
    • This article in Time  gives me a lot to think about as well as some tips on where to start, including:
      • Make a budget
      • plan meals
      • make a grocery list and stick to it
      • pay all bills on time
    • My bank offers online and mobile banking including mobile deposit, as well as a product called "mymoney" that tracks spending and reminds me of when bills are due. Again, I have it but have not utilized it. Will update my info and use it in 2018.

  • Housework
    Housework just overwhelms me. There is SO much to do!!!!
    •  The Fly Lady has great tips and tools to break housework down into achievable chunks. Granted, it is set up for someone who does not work outside the home, but don't let that discourage you; her ideas, tips, tricks, and schedules can easily be adapted  for those of us who do.
  • Schedule
    One of the things Perry had me do in therapy was find a calendar and USE it. He told me to give the calendar a LOT of power. 
    • I'm still working on that, but I DID find an amazing calendar on Amazon. It's made by Tools for Wisdom. It has a monthly calendar as well as daily planner. I picked it because the daily times my natural daily routine (most end too early). Once I received the calendar, I discovered that it also has the following:i
      • Monthly Priorities checklists
      • Essential Goals checklist (monthly)
      • lots of planning pages to help set and achieve goals throughout the year
            I may have to do a post just on this calendar. I love it so much.

Something I read this week said that I should manage my house like a business. Ask questions about efficiency, profit and loss, etc. just as I would a business.  I hadn't thought about this before. 


Much love and big hugs.
K







No comments: