Thursday, June 13, 2019

Thursday Thoughts on... What I think I deserve

Last week I shared my "Gym Testimony".

I used to think that, because of "all I've been thru," I deserve to be able to drink sugary soft drinks, eat snacks when ever I want and live off of a diet of primarily refined carbs.

Before you get all freaked out... I have NOT lied to you. Given the choice, I will choose a vegan-ish diet... but my choice is not born out of any conviction about animal products that would produce a rigid set of eating rules. I just don't really like meat very much. I love fruits and fresh vegetables, but I also REALLY like chips and dips and all sorts of little appetizer type foods. I also like Intermittent Fasting because I told myself that it allows me to eat what I want within my eating window.

Over the last 5 weeks something has changed. 

I'm beginning to realize that I deserve to be strong and healthy just as much as I "deserve" to eat a pint of ice cream. I  deserve to take time to go to the gym just as much as I "deserve" to veg out in front of the TV for an hour (or 2...or 3).

This change in mindset changes a lot for me...
It means I'm NOT punishing myself by going to the gym. I deserve to be healthy and strong and this is how I can give that gift to myself.
It also means that I'm not punishing myself by making healthier food choices. I deserve to feel good and have energy and a healthier diet is how I can give this gift to myself. 
It also means that I am caring for myself and treating myself well when I drink lots of water instead of sugary drinks and when I go to bed early.
I realized this week that I WANT these things. I WANT to feel good. I want more than just to say I went to the gym. It's not even about weight loss for me anymore. I want to give more in each workout. I want to push harder every day. I want to get stronger every week. 
I realized this week that I can't do these things and not take care of my body outside the gym, so it's time to make some changes there too.

I suppose it is very much like learning to treat my heart, mind and emotions properly so that they can heal and serve me well.  I need to care for my physical body for the same reason.


I hope that makes sense.

Just my thoughts...
K

No comments: