Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Holy Week - Wednesday

Wednesday of Holy Week. Traditionally this day was called “Spy Wednesday” for it was on this Wednesday before the crucifixion that Judas conspired to hand Jesus over. For this he was paid thirty pieces of silver.

Then one of the twelve disciples—the one named Judas Iscariot—went to the chief priests and asked, “What will you give me if I betray Jesus to you?” They counted out thirty silver coins and gave them to him.  From then on Judas was looking for a good chance to hand Jesus over to them. Matthew 26:14-16

Clearly, the powers of good and evil, light and darkness, sin and salvation are poised to exhibit themselves at the place we call Golgotha. “Spy Wednesday" reflects the daily struggles we all endure in order to accept and grow our relationship with the Lord.

 Jesus sees right through Judas' false piety and friendship. Jesus sees right through our own appearances when we falsely present ourselves as holy and faithful followers. Our frail human spirit is exposed in our sinful acts and lack of faith.

This week has been a constant reminder of my failure to serve God faithfully. It has exposed my own pride and religiosity as well as my failure to love people. Today adds  the realization of how often I put my plans before God’s. How many times do I feel that  I know better than God when it comes to living my life?? Similarly, I am painfully aware of how often I fail to trust God. Finally, and most importantly this morning, I’m confronted with my failure to recognize the holiness of Christ.

I know that Jesus gave up His life. I know that Judas played a role. I also know that Jesus would have died for our sin with or without Judas. Do you find it interesting that in this account  we also see the love of money and the lengths a person will go to in order to satisfy the desire for more money?

This begins the section of the week that I really do have lots of thoughts on... but I will continue to try and keep it simple.

I’m sure there are so many more theologically profound and much deeper thoughts than this, but my thoughts on “Spy Wednesday” are simply this:

Just like Judas, I often fail to acknowledge Jesus’s holiness.
Just like Judas, I often do things strictly for my own gain, and
Just like Judas, that choice has terrible consequences.

I hope that you see that despite all the failures of the people around him, Jesus is still moving toward the cross. I hope this reminds you that salvation is something Jesus gives us, not something we earn. I also hope that over the next few days you will be reminded of the lengths God went to in order to restore our relationship with Him.

Holy Week reminds us of our need for a Savior. It also reveals God’s love for us despite our failures.

As this week progresses, I am more thankful than ever for the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ.

Much love and big hugs
K

No comments: