Thursday, January 17, 2019

Thursday's Thoughts on... Questions I can't answer

I'm a secretary. I mean, I claim to be a writer and artist, and while I would LOVE to do just those things, being a secretary is what pays the bills. ha! Officially I am an "Executive Administrative Assistant;" three long-ish words that mean... I am indeed a secretary.

All kidding aside, I absolutely love my job. It fits into my personality (I'm naturally a helper) and my skill set (I like reports, digging for information, and totally nerd out over Excel worksheets). Not only that, but I absolutely adore the people I work with and for.

Alllll that being said, I sometimes sit in meetings and take minutes.  At the conclusion of a meeting i was in earlier this month, our Chairman went around the room, questioning the people present. Among the questions he asked were, "What was the best call you went on last year and why?" and "What one thing from last year are you most proud of ?"

I've thought about this for well over a week now and am left with some questions of my own...

Do I do anything I'm really proud of?

What did I do with the encounters I was given last year (or last week... or yesterday)?

Did I do anything in the last year that even matters?

I joke with a friend or two about the random things I do on my "Quest to Save the World" but I really can't think of anything I've done to positively impact this world I live in... or the people in it for that matter.  Anything I may have done is long forgotten and, looking around, the world hasn't changed much.

I'm left with these questions and no answers, which, although disheartening,  is not a total loss. They challenge me. If I weren't so tired, they would likely excite me...  but alas, I am awfully weary today.

I have always thought that asking questions is a good thing (Just ask my mom, husband, or any of my elementary school teachers...I am an EXCELLENT question-asker).  I also have a tendency to go in circles, without making much, if any, progress. Taking a moment to re-evaluate where I am is necessary...and good.



Just my thoughts,
K







No comments: