Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Wednesday's Weekly Recipes- Cornbread Dressin' - It's not just for Thanksgiving

Dressin' is a funny thing. First of all, most everyone I know has a strong opinion about what "good" dressin' is.  Some like a lot of sage. Some don't. (I vote NO to sage-y dressin'.) Some like it dry and crumbly, others like it more of a quiche consistency. I have come to the conclusion that it absolutely depends on how your mama made it. Most recipes are passed down through generations and are more of a "pinch of this and pinch of that til it looks and tastes right" than actual recipes.

In looking for an actual recipe to share, I was SHOCKED at how many recipes there are for "Southern Cornbread Stuffing." Sweet Jesus! "Southern STUFFING??"  

Does such a thing exist????

In my house, in my mama's house, at my sister's, my Nan's and at my Grandma's, and at alllll my friends' houses, we eat Cornbread Dressin'.  Here's a basic recipe:





Ingredients
1 full recipe Cornbread (I use a 9" pan and usually make two... because when I make it, I don't go by a specific recipe, I just add til it "looks right". I also use day old corn bread)
3 pieces sliced sandwich bread or 3 buttermilk biscuits (I don't add this to mine)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon rubbed sage (optional)
3 large eggs
1 medium onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 cup butter, sliced
4 cups cream of chicken soup
6 cups chicken stock


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
2. In a skillet over medium heat, sauté onion and celery in oil (or butter) until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Crumble all of the cornbread and biscuits (or white bread slices) into a large bowl. Add salt, pepper, eggs, onion, celery, butter, cream of chicken soup, and chicken stock. Stir until well-combined.
4. Pour dressing into two 9x13 baking dishes and bake until lightly browned, about 30 - 45 minutes. To test doneness, shake casserole dish lightly. If the center of the dressing moves, then the dressing is not cooked through in the center. Continue to bake until the dressing is set throughout.

Notes
You can pour dressing into two smaller casserole dishes to reduce cooking time to about 35 minutes. I like to do this for one pan with onions and the other without for those who do not like onions.

You can also add bits of turkey (or chicken) and chopped boiled egg to your recipe.

My mama stirs her's half way through cooking. This makes it looser and a bit dryer.

No comments: