Thursday, December 13, 2018

Thursday's Thoughts on... How I feel about Santa and stuff

For years, I've struggled to balance "Jesus is the reason for the season" with "I'll be home for Christmas," and "Santa Clause is comin' to town." I've found it difficult to find a balance. It seems that Family and Tradition overshadow celebrating Jesus's birth even when gift giving and Santa do not. I want to make peace with all of it. Can we love Jesus most and still celebrate all the other things that happen at Christmas Time?

Santa visited my older child, but not my younger. My older child is not a Jesus hater because Santa visited him and my younger is not in therapy because Santa didn't visit her. Given the opportunity to do her childhood over again, I would likely invite Santa back into our home, simply because now I see that Santa isn't really the issue. It doesn't seem to be "Santa" that takes children's eyes off Christ so much as it is the focus on gift giving... or gift receiving.

Here's what's in my heart...

Jesus IS the reason for the Season. He is. Goodness He has given us SO much to celebrate! He has given us people to love. He has given us beautiful lights and music and all sorts of wonderful things to delight our senses. I love Christmas. I love everything about it and I don't feel one bit guilty about being crazy in love with all of it. I don't think it is necessary for me to prove I love Jesus on December 25 because I love Him the other 364 days of the year too. I am thankful... DEEPLY thankful for all the things He has given me and I want to enjoy all of it. The little people in my life will hear me thank Jesus for the gifts He has given me. The people in my life know that I love and follow Jesus daily.  That is so much more important to me than them knowing that I do or don't invite Santa into my home or whether I say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays.

I think that focusing on Jesus and my relationship with him every day eliminates the need to make a statement at Christmas. I don't think anyone who knows me has any doubt about my relationship with Christ, so I'm going to celebrate Christmas. I'm going to soak it all in. I'm going to sing the songs, enjoy the lights, savor the foods and love the people God has given me....not because any of these are more important to me than Jesus, but because I am so incredibly thankful that He has blessed me with all of them!

Just my Thoughts,
K

No comments: