Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Wednesday's Weekly Recipe - NEW YEAR's Day must-haves

I have only recently been made aware that, in other parts of America, all holidays do not revolve around food. I am still trying to wrap my brain around this.

While I am learning that New Year's Day is about football and stuff for some, for me it is still mostly about the food... and resolutions... but that is a post for another day....maybe tomorrow.

Growing up, my mama ALWAYS made sure that we had the traditional (evidently traditionally SOUTHERN) New Year's Day meal. Even now, she will call to make sure that we all had our Black Eye Peas, Greens and Hog Jowl.

I never questioned it. It's just what you must do.

First, Black Eyed peas. Cook them however you want. (Some people eat exactly 365 peas, one for every day of the year.) I put hog jowl in mine and cook 'em nice and slow.  (I do not count out 365) You can also make Hoppin John, if that's more to your liking. (link to recipe)

Rumor has it the Southern-based tradition started during the Civil War. Apparently, Union General Sherman and his troops raided the Confederate food supplies but left the black-eyed peas and salted pork, thinking they were animal foods. The Confederate soldiers considered this good fortune since they still had food left to eat.

Second, you must have greens. Now, everything I read says that you must have Collards, but mama cooked turnip greens...at least that's what she told us. (maybe I should check on that) I don't THINK it matters... the point is that they are green... like money. I cook mine with butter and bacon.

Greens are among the healthiest Southern foods (well...until you cook them in  bacon and butter, of course). There's also a pretty good reason Southerners eat greens around New Years: they're still in season! Cabbage and collard greens are both late crops in America, so it just makes sense that's the fresh green we eat on New Year's.

Finally, Hog jowl. This is like, really (really) thick bacon. Mama says you have to eat hog jowl, but in reality, any pork will do. Ham is a nice substitute and rounds out your meal nicely.

The very last thing... I almost forgot... is cornbread. Now, I read that this is because it is gold like... well, gold... keeping with the whole "wealth and luck" theme. HOWEVER... there is a much more practical reason for cooking a batch of cornbread... it is practically a sin to eat greens or peas without it!

So there you have it. Gettin 2019 off to a good start with our traditional (albeit superstitious) New Year's Day meal.


Enjoy!
K


No comments: