Sunday, September 16, 2018

Sunday Scripture - Exodus 14:14

The Lord will fight for you, you need only to be still. 
Exodus 14:14

I've claimed this verse in many different areas over the years...

Sometimes though, if I am honest, I'm not sure I believe that God will fight for me. I SAY I believe it. I wouldn't dare say otherwise.  I mean, I know he CAN. 

But that's not really the question, is it? The question is NOT whether or not God CAN fight for me... 

...it's whether or not He WILL.

I've written about this before. This question rests heavy on my heart and resonates within my very being. It stirs something fragile deep in my soul that I cannot put words to.

To believe that God CAN fight for me is easy. I truly believe that God CAN do anything. I believe that He is the Creator of all, Ruler of all, LORD of all. I truly believe with every fiber of my being that there is NOTHING my God cannot do.

But again,  that's not the question.

The question is much more intimate. There is much at stake. The question speaks to His love for me... and only me. It's personal. This does not apply to "the nations" or "all people" or even "the church." This is between me and God...and there is a part of me that isn't completely sure what His answer will be. 

Sitting here, starting this post this evening, I had no plan and wasn't sure where it was gonna go. Honestly, I'm facing a battle I cannot fight on my own and I NEED His help. I sat here, not sure what His answer would be. 

First, Exodus 14:14 came to mind. 

As if that was not enough... (because I am a slow learner)

I am reminded of the woman in John 8. Caught in the act of adultery, drug from her lover's bed, paraded through town, tossed at the feet of Jesus... broken, empty, shattered...guilty... she waits. What will her fate be? Left to the religious, she was already condemned... left to the religious she would have been stoned. 

Jesus had other plans.

"Let any of you who is without sin throw the first stone at her." (John 8: 7b NIV)

One by one, these men, who only moments ago were so quick to judge her guilty, dropped their stones and left. (Wouldn't you love to know what went through their minds as they walked away?) Once everyone was gone, Jesus asked, "Woman, Where are they? Has no one condemned you?" and her response puts a lump in my throat and brings tears to my eyes...

"No one, sir" (John 8:11 NIV)

My answer would include two little words that hers does not...

"but you"

My answer would have been "no one but you, sir." 

Maybe the answer in her heart was more like mine, because Jesus responded, "Neither do I condemn you. Go and sin no more." (that's verse 12, if you're keeping track)

Maybe you are reading this and have no clue what I'm rambling on about. Maybe you aren't afraid of anything. Maybe you believe that you deserve God's outpouring of grace, mercy, and love. Then again, maybe you are like me...

I sit here at the keyboard, my heart pounding in my chest, hands trembling, tears flowing freely, asking with a voice barely above a whisper...

"Will you? Will you fight for me?" 

I can only imagine what the woman in John 8 must have felt when the only one who had right to judge her harshly... pardoned her, showed her grace, bathed her with mercy, saw through her guilt to her battered soul... and loved her... and... do I actually need to say it? He FOUGHT for her. The Lord of all Creation, God in flesh, Emanuel, King of kings and Lord of lords fought the battle she was helpless to fight for herself.

This is why I love God's Word. It soothes my fragile heart, encourages me, and gives me hope. God's Word Promises me (and you)

"The Lord WILL fight for you, you need only to be still."

If you are like me and feeling a bit defeated today...

remember this, Not only CAN God fight for you...

HE WILL!


Much love and big big BIG hugs!
K



No comments: