Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Wednesday's Weekly Recipe: Tomato and Cucumber Salad






I'm not clear on what makes a "salad" a "salad" but we've always called this a salad, so I'm going with it.  This is super easy to put together, lends itself to modifications and is great to make ahead.

It's June in Mississippi and the only thing I can think is "holy moly it is HOT!" The heat is oppressive. I love our very very mild winters... but the trade off is suffocating heat from the end of May til... at least September.  This oppressive heat does all sorts of things... like curb the appetite. 

So, I expect that the recipes I will gravitate toward for the next several months will be light and we can go back to the heavier Southern "Comfort" foods in the fall. (mmmmm Pumpkin bread and sweet potato casserole)

This little salad is a favorite of mine.  It is soooo easy to prepare. Here's how I make it. 

1 Pint Grape (or Cherry) Tomatoes
1 Large Cucumber 
1/4 Red Onion 
2 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Tbs Red wine vinegar

Halve the tomatoes
Cut up the cucumber (slice, cube, whatever makes you happy)
Chop up the onion ( big pieces, little tiny pieces, whatever makes you happy)
Add the oil and vinegar
Stir it all up
Put it in the refrigerator


Now, when I am feeling creative, I add the little yellow tomatoes too.
If you want to make it even easier, you can use Italian Dressing instead of Olive oil and Vinegar.
You can Add olives, Parmesan, and bow tie pasta.
OR  You can add spinach leaves if you need them to call a salad a salad
OR  You can  add feta or blue cheese crumbles if you like it.
Bottom line is, add what you like.

The main thing is that this is a super light side or salad... and light is good in June in the deep south.

Much love and big hugs!
K



No comments: