Thursday, June 28, 2018

Thursday Thoughts on... What determines your worth

A few thoughts were left hanging around last week. I can't get past them, so I might as well share.

We typically use a LOT of things to determine our worth and value. Do you know which ones you use?

Just stop and think about it for a moment.

I'll wait.

Ready? Here's my short list, just off the top of my head:


  • Spouse / Children                                              
  • Parents / Siblings / Family Name
  • Career / Paycheck
  • House / Neighborhood
  • Automobile
  • Friends/ Connections
  • Social Clubs and Organizations
  • Church Affiliation / Involvement
  • Grades
  • Alma Mater
You may be shaking your head and thinking "Kris, where are you going with this?"

 I won't keep you waiting.

What is the challenge with using any of these things to determine your worth and/or value?

Lets start with the people...

So your spouse is well respected and admired by the people in your social groups. You may even be told that he/she is "quite a catch" or that you are a lucky man/woman. That's all well and good... until this isn't the case anymore. What happens if your career (or your spouse's) moves you to a place where no one knows you? What if your spouse decides that he/she wants a divorce? What if your spouse does something that causes him/her to fall from his/her social pedestal?
To me the worst and most common scenario is that you believe your worth and value are based on your spouse's approval of you. You spend your life trying to make certain your spouse is pleased with you, which is bound to leave you wanting since your worth and value are at the mercy of his/her mood, wants, etc.

This is the same with Family and Friends. If you determine your worth based on the worth and value you see in them, what happens when they fall from grace? Likewise, if you determine your worth based on the value they see in you...what happens when they are displeased with you?

I have witnessed first hand the decline of someone's college alma mater because of scandal or even because they have several losing seasons in football or basketball. When our worth is tied to our alma mater, we are putting our worth and value in the hands of people who don't even know we exist.

Now then, the rest of my list is very fickle indeed. If my value is based on my grades, I MUST make good grades...what happens when I don't? Paychecks, houses, cars, careers...all these things can be jerked out from under us in a moment! If these things determine your worth and value, you spend  your time and energy trying to insure they are stable. (which works fine until your house catches on fire or someone totals your vehicle)

I left one thing off my list intentionally.

Christ

My identity, my worth, and my value in Christ never changes. I believe that a person has two options;  accept the gift of salvation or not. While I strongly believe that everyone should accept Christ as their savior and follow Him as their Lord, I know that not everyone will...and I fully respect their choice. Not gonna argue about it or shun someone who believes differently than I do. It makes me sad when someone chooses to reject Christ, but everyone is entitled to his or her own belief.

I believe that the Bible is true. I believe that the Word of God is absolute truth and does not change. That being said, God's word tells me that ALL have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God (Romans 3:23) and that, while I was still a sinner Christ Jesus died to reconcile me to God (Romans 5:8-12). Jesus Christ paid the the penalty for my sin, a penalty  that would take eternity in hell for me to pay on my own (Romans 6:23). God's Word tells me that by confessing that Jesus is Lord and that He is the Messiah, I'll be saved form having to pay for my sin (Romans 10:9-10). That's what I believe.

Now look at this...

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39) 

The unchanging, unfathomable love of God shown to us through Jesus Christ who died so that we could be freed from the penalty of sin and restored in relationship to our creator... that's where true, unshakable, sustainable, absolute value and worth are found. It is not fickle. God's love is not moved by grades or style or community service. God's love is not altered by your bad day... or your good day. God is God and He loves who He loves without question or hesitation.

The only hesitation is on our  part. We cling to these fickle things and people for approval because that's all we know.

What if there is something better? What is there is something more dependable and more secure to base our worth and value on?

We hesitate to embrace the God of the Bible and the gift of Salvation from (and subsequent identity in) Jesus Christ because... well, perhaps it seems to easy, too good to be true, or maybe we love our sin too much to see what life could be like apart from it. Maybe we know that things aren't EXACTLY like we would like for them to be, but it's all we know and we are not comfortable embracing something different.  That's like going to the beach and playing in the bath tub in the hotel room... because you know all about a bathtub but have never experienced the ocean. You've heard stories about the ocean, but you KNOW the bathtub, It is small and cramped, but it brings you some joy, so you just stay there... when the beach is right there outside your door.


Much love and big big hugs,
K



No comments: