Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Wednesday's Weekly Recipe - New Year Traditions - Southern Style

Some things are certain. Among those are death, taxes, and what ya eat on New Year's Day... at least if you live south of the Mason Dixon. 

Now, my mom swears you have to eat Black-eyed Peas, Collards, and Hog Jowl. We ate this every New Year's Day for my entire life. She still calls me and my siblings to make sure that we have had our New Years Meal. 


I personally do not like hog jowl, nor am I particularly fond of collards, and I am something of an all or nothing person, so I confess that I have not continued the tradition....

Until this year!!

I did a little research and discovered that a traditional Southern New Year's Day meal consists of 3 primary components:
  • Peas
  • Greens (turnip, collard, mustard, kale, or cabbage)
  • Pork 
So here's my plan...
  • Traditional breakfast including eggs, deer sausage, biscuits, gravy, and bacon (pork)

  • For lunch, Cabbage soup 

  • For supper, Hoppin' John (Black eye peas), Cornbread, stuffed deer tenderloin

Here's my recipe for Hoppin John: 
Compliments of the Pioneer Woman (click link to follow to her full recipe and directions)
Ingredients:
  • 4 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1 whole Large Onion, Diced
  • 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1 whole Green Bell Pepper, Diced
  • 2 stalks Celery, Diced
  • 4 cups Soaked Black-eyed Peas
  • 5 cups Low-sodium (or No-sodium) Chicken Broth
  • 1 whole Ham Hock
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste
  • Cayenne Pepper To Taste
  • 2 Tablespoons White Vinegar
  • White Or Brown Rice, For Serving
Instructions:

(Soak black-eyed peas in cool water for at least 6 hours. Rinse before using.)


Heat butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, green pepper, and celery and stir. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in soaked beans, then add chicken broth, ham hock, salt & pepper, and cayenne to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover the pot for 30 minutes. 



After 30 minutes, check the liquid level; if it's too soupy, cook with the lid off for another 15 minutes or so. If it's too thick, splash in a little more broth. 



Stir in vinegar, then taste for seasonings. Add more spice if needed.



Serve over white or brown rice, making sure to get plenty of the cooking liquid spooned over the top. Or, you may mix the bean mixture with the rice before serving. 



Variations: add red bell pepper, canned diced tomatoes, diced jalapenos, diced ham (instead of ham hocks), or sliced bacon (instead of ham hocks). Stir in torn-up kale when 5 minutes of cooking time remain. 



Variation: use canned, drained black-eyed peas if preferred. Just use diced ham instead of ham hock and a little less broth, as peas won't need to cook as long.

Now, if you aren't from The South and are wondering "WHY???" I have a little bit of history for ya to go along with this recipe...

Supposedly, the tradition spread after the Civil War. During General Sherman's march, the Union Army pillaged the Confederates' food supplies but left the peas and pork believing they were food for the animals and not for human consumption. They (of course) were not familiar with Greens and did not consider them food at all. The Southern soldiers thus felt lucky to have these supplies to get them through the cold winter.

I'm not the least bit superstitious, but my Nan would tell you that eating these 3 things on New Year's Day will bring you money and luck. Add in Cornbread because it is "golden" like... you guessed it...gold...and you are "sure" to have a most prosperous year... according to my Nan.

For me, it's just fun...and I do like traditions.... and with my modified menu, I LIKE the food!

I'd love to hear what New Year traditions you have!
Leave them in the comments.

Much love and BIG hugs!
K

No comments: