Tuesday, July 6, 2010

One of those days

Ever had one of "those" days?

I seem to have lots of them. I keep telling the people in my life "just do what I tell you to do and everything will be great". So far, no one is listening....

Isn't that the way life goes? We all think we know what is best...even my 5 year old thinks she knows what is best for dinner and when is the best time for her to go to bed.

I have found that when I have one of "those" days, the main cause for my angst is my belief that I know what's best. Sadly, I must confess that most often my angst is caused because I think I know what's best better than God does. After all, I'm the one living my life, right? I'm the one living in my house with my husband and kids. I'm the one working with my co-workers and I'm the one being friends with my friends. I know what's best for me......right?

Actually, often what I think is best for me makes about as much sense as my 5 year old "knowing" that ice cream topped with chocolate chips makes a great dinner.

Bottom line is, God knows what's best for me. His instruction on how to treat people is best. His instruction on how to grow in my relationship with Him is best. His instruction on how to react to adversity, hurt feelings, being treated unfairly, and all sorts of other painful parts of life...is best.

God's way is best:
Love your neighbor as yourself.
Greater love has no man that this: that he would lay down his life for his friend
Have no other gods before God
Don't covet
Don't bear false witness (don't tear someone down and ruin their reputation)
Wives, submit to your husbands
Husbands love your wives as Christ loved the church
Put on the FULL armor of God
Control your tongue

These things don't all mesh well with our society. Many of the things that God says are best for me don't come naturally for me. Often I find myself having one of "those" days before I realize what is REALLY wrong.

Today, like most of "those" days, I didn't follow God's plan. I didn't do what HE says is best for me. I allowed Satan to slip in and ruin my day by entertaining and nurturing feelings of hurt, anger, frustration, selfishness, and pride in my heart. None of those are from God, so it's no wonder my day was a bust.

THANKFULLY God used a friend to speak to my heart...even though she had no idea that was what she was doing. She said " I know what you'll do. You'll write an epistle, then delete it. You'll get in your car this afternoon and turn on your praise music and once you are alone you'll pray about everything that happened today and by the time you get home you'll have let the day go and it will be as if nothing ever happened. Tomorrow you'll hardly remember why you were upset in the first place." Now, my friend did not intend for me to take her speech as advice on what to do. She meant it to be proof of my inability to stand up for myself. Instead, she reminded me of the way I know that God wants me to combat "those" days.

I'm glad she reminded me, and I'm glad I respond that way often enough for her to say "i know just what you'll do".

I did. I got in my car, turned on my praise music, prayed about my day, and decided that it's best to let God stand up for me....and the rest of my day has worked out just fine.

It always does when I do things His way.



No comments: