Thursday, September 12, 2019

Thursday's Thoughts on... the luxury of being too busy to write

When I don't write, one of 2 things has happened... I've gotten really depressed or I've gotten really busy.
I've been really busy these past few weeks.... and I haven't written... because I have the option to write or not write. No one is gonna be upset with me if I don't post something here every Thursday. I'm not sure anyone would even notice... which is a good thing... I think.

I was thinking about this on Sunday morning as the hubs got up to preach and it hit me... he CAN'T have a week where he just doesn't "feel it." He can't have a week that he doesn't seek a message from God... cause, ya know... that's kind of his job.

Of course, I am tempted to add a little "but it IS his job and he can work on his sermon all day for 5 days at work," and I SUPPOSE this may seem true for anyone who isn't in the ministry... but for those of us who are, we know that "Sermon Prep time" is not honored by the typical church member.... or anyone else except other preachers... and maybe not even with them. 

Not only that... but honestly, on weeks when I have nothing to say, it wouldn't matter if I sat at the key board for 27 hours straight... the screen is still gonna be blank. So on weeks when I have nothing to say... i say nothing.

A preacher does not have that option. He doesn't have the option to skip a week. He doesn't have the option to be too tired or depressed or stressed out to write a sermon. He doesn't have the option to be "too busy" to write a sermon. 

I've been married to "the Preacher" for almost 23 years.  I sit on the pew every week like most of you and totally take the sermon for granted. Today I am amazed that he is able to prepare a sermon week after week, no matter what life is throwing at our church, our family or him personally. 

Makes me respect him a bit more and appreciate him a lot more. I hope these thoughts help you see the effort and sacrifice behind YOUR pastor's sermons... and will encourage you to let him know that you appreciate what he does to deliver God's Word to you each week.

Just my thoughts,
K

No comments: