Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Tuesday Tips and Tricks: Focusing on God

Life gets... busy.

If I'm not careful, I completely miss my time with God. It just slips by. I've learned that, like so many things, If I don't make a conscious effort to spend time with God...well, I won't.

There are so many things that scream for my attention. Satan is good... very good... at distracting me.

When it comes to staying focused on God, I've learned that there are a few things I can do to fight against the things that distract me.

I overslept the other morning and could not have my quiet time. I decided that day that I would set my alarm 30 minutes early so that I am assured time with God in the mornings. That prompted this post. What other things have I learned to do that help me focus on God during the day?



  • I set my alarm early... allowing time with God.
    • Starting my day in prayer and scripture gets me focused first thing. Before people start needing things from me, I spend time in God's presence. I've noticed that the way I start my day sets the tone for the day. Starting my day with God helps me the rest of the day.
  • I pray on the way to work. 
    • If I take my little one to school, i pray for her... out loud for her to hear. This is one area where I failed my children. They need to hear their parents pray for them. I regret not being faithful to this. So, when I take her to school, I pray for her. 
    • On the way to work, I pray for my boss and co workers. I pray for myself, my attitude, and  that God will help me be productive and pleasant to work with. I pray for wisdom, patience, kindness, and alert-ness.
  • I listen to my "worship" playlist. Thankfully, we don't get reprimanded for having one earbud in at our desks. Of course I work upstairs, away from customers and that makes a difference. I take advantage of this and listen to a play list I put together. It is made up of my favorite worship songs. These songs are directed toward God and help keep my thoughts going that direction.
  • I read a bit of my Bible at lunch
  • I have quiet time before I go to sleep. for me, this includes prayer, reading my Bible and journaling. It is a great way to end my day and prepare for a night of rest.
Starting and ending my day with time spent with God has made a huge difference in my life. It's not so much about spending sooo much time sitting with my Bible open as much as it is about where my mind is.

What do you do to stay focused on God?

Have a great day!
K

No comments: