Thursday, February 1, 2018

Thursday's Thoughts on... Verse and Word for 2018


I FINALLY settled on a verse for 2018. I have learned over the years to pay attention to the verse God gives me as I start a new year.  Just as my life verse (Ephesians 6:10-18) has proven to be a constant in my life, each year the verse God gives me is... I don't know how to describe this.

The year that  Isaiah 41:10 was my verse, I was diagnosed with Cancer the 2nd time. God gave me the verse in January. My cancer returned in June. In case you aren't familiar, Isaiah 41:10 says:
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (NIV)


The year that Philippians 3:10-11 were my verses, I faced betrayal and more heartache than I thought I could bear. Again, in case you aren't familiar, Philippians 3:10-11 says:

I want to know Christ- yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining the resurrection from the dead. (NIV)

Last year, the verse God gave me was 1 Corinthians 10:31, which reads:
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. (NIV)
Goodness, I wish I'd paid more attention to this verse as the year went on. Add to this that I claimed a word for 2017 as well  and that word was "Self Control." put the two together and, looking back over all that went on during 2017, it's as though God gave me a warning.

Like I said, as time has gone on, I have learned to pay attention to the verse God gives me as we start the journey of a new year.

This year, I have struggled with the verse I believe God has given me for a few reasons. First, given the history of how my verses have served me in the past, it is a little alarming. Second, it seems to be a double dose...because it is part of my life verse. I do not even want to imagine what this will mean for 2018, but I know that by the end of the year it will be clear. 

My verse for 2018 is Ephesians 6:11, which reads:
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.

My word for 2018 is
Integrity

One definition for integrity reads
"The quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness."  I am familiar with this idea of integrity. 
There is another definition which reads:
"The state of being whole and undivided."


Either thought goes hand in hand with resisting the devil's schemes, but the second speaks to my heart. I have felt very "divided" as of late.  


Anyway, there it is. Moving into 2018 preparing for battle.


Much love and big hugs
K





No comments: