Saturday, December 3, 2011

Sunday School All Week long

Our Sunday School teacher challenged us to read one chapter of Luke each day, pick a verse from that chapter, and write about it. This is RIGHT up my alley! I have LOVED it!!!! The method we are using is the "SOAP" Method. In a notebook, you write the date and chapter you are reading, then you write:
Scripture (the verse that sticks out to you)
Observation (what you notice about the verse)
Application (how can ya apply this verse or what have you learned from it)
Prayer

I have LOVED this exercise!!!! I have made an effort to find something new, something I have not noticed before in each chapter. I thought this would be difficult, being that the Book of Luke is one of the Gospels and tells the life of Christ. However, it has been easy...and INTERESTING. I am realizing that the verses that jump out at me are a good indication of where I am spiritually.

I want to share some of what I have learned these past couple of weeks, but before I do, I want to make sure that I say that I did not consult any commentaries or even the preacher to find out what the scripture is supposed to mean. I just read, picked out a verse that jumped out at me and wrote about what I thought about it. This is not meant to be a "lesson" so much as it is a peek into how I feel and think as I read Luke.

The most interesting thing to me has been how EASY this exercise has been . It takes me maybe 30 minutes or so to read the chapter and go through the exercise. The result is a lingering feeling of accomplishment and a growing feeling of closeness to my Savior and Lord as I search for new verses to study.

I'll share bits and pieces as I go, just because I think it is really neat to see how the Word of God speaks.

No comments: