Saturday, August 14, 2010

Under Attack? Caught not paying attention

This week, I have been thinking a lot about "The Battle". I mentioned in the last post that I am not sure that Christians take Satan's attack on us seriously. The Bible refers to him as a prowling lion, looking for someone to devour. I found out 3 interesting things about how lions hunt. Today, the final interesting thing....


Antelopes, while physically fast, are mentally not quite so sprightly and pay perhaps too little attention to learning from their mistakes.

I read about a group of Thomson's gazelles crossing a patch of thick bush in order to drink. When they entered the thick bush, it was bristling with lions that instantly grabbed and ate one of the gazelles. Over the next two hours the same group of gazelles, having apparently forgotten the recent murder of one of their companions, tried not once but twice more to get to the water using the same route…with predictable results.


Oh my goodness! How many times do we walk right into Satan's traps?
Scripture warns us, even commands us what to avoid.....

We have witnessed friends and family, coworkers, and others get caught in the trap.....

Often we have been ensnared in the trap before....


and yet...


We go right back to the same spot where we KNOW Satan is waiting.


What are we thinking? Do we think that sin is a game? Something to tinker around with? Do we or do we not believe that God hates sin? Do we, perhaps, believe that "little" sins don't ensnare? Do we think that the only sins that God really hates are the ones that WE have deemed "terrible"? Scripture says plainly that God hates a proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked imaginations, feet that are swift in running to mischief, a false witness who speaks lies, and one who sows discord among brethren. (Proverbs 6:16-19).


Scripture tells us to resist the devil, not toy with him.


I do not for one moment believe that a Christian should live in FEAR of Satan. I claim the promise that "He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world" (1 John 4:4) multiple times daily. I also know too many Christians that have fallen to Satan's snare. I know people who, while still very much have the promise of Heaven, are living hell on earth because of sin in their lives.


I do not fear Satan, but I am fully aware that he seeks to destroy me and the people I love. I do not take being under attack lightly. When I sense the enemy of my soul is near, I call on my prayer warriors and together we fight back. I can fight alone, and have, but there is great reassurance in knowing that my sisters and brothers in Christ are on the front lines with me.


It is my prayer that you will no longer absently say "that's Satan attacking", but that you too will sound the alarm, rally the troops, and wage war on the enemy of your soul!


After all, we are in the battle.



No comments: