Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Tuesday's tips and tricks - Christmas Edition - Week 2

If you've read this blog for any length of time, you realize that I struggle with anxiety and depression. 


If you struggle with Stress and Anxiety, especially during the holidays, here are some Tips and Tricks I use to keep myself relatively sane.


Utilize a Calendar!
I can't stress this enough. A few minutes a couple times each day will help you plan your week and eliminate most all panic over last minute events.

Make a List!
A running list goes hand in hand with your calendar. They prompt each other. A calendar event can prompt me to add something to my shopping list. My to-do list can prompt me to block out time on my calendar. I am visual and need a good bit of positive reinforcement, so marking things off a list encourages me to get more done.


Get some SLEEP!
I mentioned resting last week, but SLEEP is also so very important. I have "lights out" on my calendar every day and do try to get in bed and on my way to sleep by that time, knowing that it allows me enough hours of sleep before my alarm goes off the next morning (also dictated by my calendar). We all know that woman who seems to have it all together but is a sleep deprived grouch. Don't be that girl. Go to sleep.


Eat GOOD food. 
I have to remind myself of this constantly. Food is fuel, not entertainment. Food is not a reward, nor is it to be used as punishment. Food is just the stuff your body uses for energy and nourishment. That's it. OH! I so totally struggle with this! I do know that when I eat good healthy food, my body thanks me for it. I have more energy and am even in a better mood. 
"Do not reward yourself with food; you are not a dog." 

Get moving!
They say that Exercise is the most under utilized anti-depressant. I have experienced this for myself. After a particularly stressful day, time on the elliptical will markedly reduce my level of anxiety. Remember this, Exercise is a celebration of what your body can do, not punishment for what you ate.

STOP Procrastinating!
This is my SINGLE greatest cause of stress. My calendar and my lists help with this, but it is a daily battle. If you are a fellow procrastinator, get that calendar out, make some lists and get some stuff done!

Finally, the greatest thing I've learned this year...You are only responsible for yourself. You are not responsible for making anyone else happy. You are not responsible for anyone else's behavior, nor is anyone else's behavior a reflection on you as a person. Remember, you don't have to set yourself on fire to keep someone else warm.

Much love and BIG BIG hugs!!!
K

No comments: